Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The "Shit House" Story

In the practices leading up to my first varsity game ever in 1997, we were in preparation for very tough 4A Louisville. Not only was this the school where Coach Justice won back to back state 4A championships in 1986 and 1987, its also the ONLY school that my group of seniors never beat. After putting Louisville on the non-conference schedule along with Grenada, Meridian, and South Panola, our early season practices had to be filled with more seriousness than usual because we weren't Pelahatchie, Puckett, and school for the deaf. On a Wednesday full pads practice the first week of school, Mako Shelton had one of his "Mako moments" where he took a play off because it was going in the opposite direction. Expecting a Justice tirade, which we'd already had 5 of that day, I took a step back. However, what insued was a piece of high school football comedic lore. Justice, instead of hollering at Mako, turned to Scott Perkins and said the following, and I quote:

"Perkins, hell's bells, why the hell does no one give a shit about taking pride in their work? Guys, can we please take pride in what we're doing? I mean seriously, if I was gonna build a shit house, I'd make the best one I could possibly make. I'd paint it just the right color. I'd make the door open and shut just right. I'd put flowers all around it. Then, I'd make the hole so big, anyone's ass could fit on it. Run it again, m'line."

The funniest thing is that NOBODY laughed......until we got inside.

3 comments:

Q said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Lol. That's funny as hell. I was looking for stuff from Mako's high school days and I stumbled upon this. He will probably divorce me with this story...

Unknown said...

Lol. That's funny as hell. I was looking for stuff from Mako's high school days and I stumbled upon this. He will probably divorce me with this story...